Sunday, September 21, 2008

Potato Leek Soup

Now that fall is also officially upon us, I have been having the itch to make soup. I had to decide between butternut squash soup or potato and leek soup and I just couldn't make that decision, so DH did it for me. I hit my local Farmer's Market today and picked up the leeks, along with tons of other yummy, and well-priced, veggies. I found the recipe I most closely followed on the Food Network site but I did make some of my own changes so here is my take on potato leek soup.

2-3 leeks, cleaned and dark green sections removed
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Heavy pinch kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
14 ounces, approximately 3 small, potatoes, peeled and diced small
1 quart low sodium chicken broth
1 pint light cream
3 slices of cooked turkey bacon, chopped
Salt & pepper to taste

Chop the leeks into small pieces.

In a 6-quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender, approximately 15 minutes.

Add the potatoes and the chicken broth broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately 45 minutes. Add in the light cream at the end.

Turn off the heat and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. Add in the chopped bacon. Season with salt and pepper and serve.




No comments: