Saturday, April 4, 2009

Kung Pao Chicken

This is another one from my google reader that I starred. I love Asian food and love making it at home. Kung Pao Chicken from Pennies on a Platter. We loved this one. It had great flavor and spice to it. I did find that I needed more sauce and I did make a few changes based on what we liked so here's my amended version.














8 oz boneless-skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1” pieces)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons chilli oil
3 tablespoons green onions (chopped)
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon ground ginger
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts
1 bunch of broccoli, chopped
Brown rice, cooked and prepared for two

Combine chicken and cornstarch in a small bowl and toss to coat. Heat oil in wok (or large deep-dish skillet) over medium heat, add chicken and stir fry 5-7 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Remove chicken from wok.

Add green onions, broccoli, red pepper flakes and ginger to the wok and stir fry until the broccoli begins to turn a darker shade of green.

Combine vinegar, soy sauce, teriyaki and sugar in a small bowl. Mix well and add the sauce to the wok.

Return chicken to the wok and coat with sauce. Heat thoroughly. Top with the peanuts and serve over brown rice.

No comments: