Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hummus

I've had this recipe from Chop, Stir, Mix starred in my google reader for a while. I've tried making hummus a few times but it never really came out right... it was either too garlicky or too beany. This one though is delicious. I'm excited to have finally been able to make homemade hummus that rivals the store bought versions. It's MUCH cheaper to make at home and I feel healthier since I can control the ingredients. I didn't have the parsley on hand but it still came out great. Be sure to make this hummus!














1 large can (or 2 reg sized cans) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp salt (you can start with 1 tsp and add another if you want depending on your taste)
1/2 c. sour cream
2 tbsp tahini
1/4 c. chopped parsley
olive oil (to consistency - about 1/8 c.)

Make a mash paste of the garlic and salt. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, use a fork in a bowl. Blend chickpeas, sour cream, tahini, and garlic paste in food processor or blender. Add olive oil until desired consistency is reached. Add in chopped parsely and let blend well for 2-3 minutes. Chill for at least 2 hours.

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Looks like a great and easy recipe!