Monday, March 23, 2009

Vodka Sauce















I made a new version of sauce this weekend based on one that has been going around on my local board for a while from AmyRob. I did make some changes to suit what I had and my dietary needs but it still came out delicious.

1/2 c vodka
1 tbs red pepper flakes
2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 med onion, chopped
2 large cans crushed tomatoes (28 oz. each)
1 c Romano cheese
2 c fat free half and half
3 TBSP I can't Believe it's Not Butter

Soak vodka and pepper flakes for 10 minutes - the longer the pepper flakes soak, the hotter the sauce will be. Remove flakes; vodka will turn red.

Saute olive oil and onion in a pot until the onions have softened.

Add in the tomates and vodka and cook on low for 1/2 hour, stirring every 5 minutes or so. Then add Romano cheese, half and half, and butter. Cook another 20 minutes.

No comments: