Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sundried Tomato and Mushroom Risotto















Making this has been on my mind for the last couple weeks and today I finally had the time to put the whole meal together. I didn't follow any specific recipe for it. Rather I just put together all the things I knew about making risotto from reading blogs and the last couple times I made it. This one came out so creamy and so delicious, I could have just eaten it by itself. It's easy and fun, so if you are looking for a dish to serve to company, this is it!

2 cups arborio rice
6 oz. mushrooms, sliced
10 sundried tomatoes sliced
1/2 cup of minced onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
32-40 oz. low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
2 TBSP I can't Believe It's Not Butter Light

Heat the chicken broth in a sauce pan until simmering. Keep it heated throughout the process. Melt the butter and add the onion and cook until it's translucent, about 8 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook another minute. Deglaze with the wine and stir together for another 2 minutes. Pour in the 2 cups of arborio rice. Coat with the wine and onion mixture and cook for about a minute. Ladle in one to two scoops of chicken broth and let the rice absorb it, stirring almost constantly. Do this for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice has become tender. I taste it throughout the process so I know if it's still too al dente. About 10 minutes into the ladling process, add in the mushrooms and sundried tomatoes. Serve immediately and top with parmesean cheese.

No comments: