Sunday, December 27, 2009

Fresh Strawberry Ice Cream















I got an ice cream maker courtesy of my sister in law and her fiance for Christmas and all I can say is where have you been all my life? It was honestly the best ice cream I have ever had. Maybe because it was all natural ingredients, no weird stuff you can get with the stuff in the store. Whatever it is, it was delicious and I am so happy to have one. Not to mention, easy to use! This recipe is one that came with the instructions for the ice cream maker and I am very happy with it. I probably should have let the ice cream set a little better before sampling it but too bad, it was so good I couldn't wait!

1 pint fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced
3 TBSP lemon juice
1 cup sugar, divided
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

In a small bowl combine the sliced strawberries, lemon juice and 1/3 cup of the sugar. Stir it together and let it sit for 2 hours and allow the strawberries to macerate (my new favorite word) in the juices for 2 hours.

In a medium bowl, combine the milk and remaining sugar. Blend with a hand mixer or whisk until the sugar is dissolved, 1-2 minutes. Stir in the cream, vanilla, and the juices from the macerated strawberries. Turn the machine on and pour the mixture into the freezer bowl through the spout and let it mix for 25-30 minutes or to desired consistency. Add in the strawberries during the last 5 minutes of mixing.

1 comment:

Kira said...

Isn't homemade ice cream AMAZINGLY delicious? It's so much better than store-bought. Enjoy your maker!