Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie















This lighter version of chicken pot pie caught my eye in this months Real Simple magazine. Amy, I think you saw it too! No butter, no cream, it's just what I need to make an old favorite healthier than the original. I love a lot of veggies in my pot pie so I did make some changes to the original recipe. Here is my version. By the way, my husband said this is the best chicken pot pie he's ever had.

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced and cooked (I flavored mine with a garlic/rosemary spice mixture
1 TBSP olive oil
3 shallots, diced
2 carrots, sliced thinly
1 small head of broccoli, chopped
4-5 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 cups of 1% milk
3 TBSP flour
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 9-inch store bought pie crust (I used Pillsbury, the store brand never seems to stay together for me)
1 egg, beaten














Heat the olive oil in a large pan and when hot, saute the shallots, carrots, broccoli and mushrooms until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and cook until it is absorbed. Add in the milk and simmer until it thickens. Once it has thickened, stir in the peas and chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Pour the mixture into a shallow 2 quart baking dish (I used a pie dish). Sprinkle the cheese onto the mixture. Lay the pie crust on top, pressing to seal. Cut about 6 vent holes into the top. Brush the beaten egg over the crust to achieve a nice brown crust. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've made individual pot pies, and crustless pot pie (PA Dutch style), but I've never actually made a whole pot pie. Yours looks great!

Donna-FFW said...

This looks fantastic. I am always looking for a good chicken pot pie!! I have never tried this one. Looks great!! I am from South/Central NJ also!! Just discovered your blog. Love it!