Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Light Sesame Chicken

Another weight watchers friendly meal. It's definitely not as tasty as the real stuff but there's a reason I need to be on weight watchers and it's not because I was eating light! Anyway, this was a recipe I got a while ago and never made but now that I'm sticking to the plan it fit right in. Thanks Brooke for the recipe! P.S. Yay for my 100th post!!!!














1 bag of brown rice (like Success Brown Rice)
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 garlic clove, finely chopped or crushed with a garlic press
2 large egg whites
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 2-inch chunks
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower *omitted, I used cooking spray
4 scallions, thinly sliced *omitted
1 1/2 pounds broccoli, cut into large florets, stems peeled and thinly sliced

Directions
In a small bowl, combine honey, sesame seeds, soy sauce, and garlic; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites and cornstarch. Add chicken; season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat the pan over medium-high. Add half the chicken; cook, turning occasionally, until golden and opaque throughout, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and chicken. Return all the chicken to skillet; add reserved sauce and scallions, and toss to coat.
As the rice cooks, place the broccoli in a steamer basket over the boiling water and steam the broccoli until desired tenderness. Add the steamed broccoli to the chicken and sauce and mix.
Serve sesame chicken over the rice and enjoy.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Yum, we love sesame chicken! And I love that it is WW friendly. I've ben off the wagon, but plan to get back on board soon! Thanks for sharing!

Brooke said...

Happy 100th post! I love this recipe. When I make it I always pick up a container of wonton soup to serve with it - so yummy!