Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Creamy Two Cheese Macaroni

Oh Cooking Light how I love you. When I need some creamy mac and cheese, you come to my rescue. I knew this week would be busy so I needed a make ahead meal. Plus, I've been craving mac and cheese. Served with a side of veggies, it made our Monday night happy and easy. I was able to do the 30 Minute Shred while it baked. How's that for convenient? Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture but this one, courtesy of Cookinglight.com will have to do.


















1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2-1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese, divided
6 ounces light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
6 cups hot cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup panko
Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375°.

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat; add flour. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring frequently. Stir in the cheddar cheese and processed cheese; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni and salt.

Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the panko. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.

No comments: