Sunday, August 24, 2008

Crab Rangoon

Ever since a trip to Cape Cod a few years ago where I had the most delicious crab rangoon, I've sampled it whenever I could here in NJ. Unfortunately, it's not really sold much in most Chinese restaurants and the places I have been able to find it, it really hasn't been that good. So today, I thought I would try it. I had some egg roll wrappers sitting in the fridge and they needed to be used. I went on allrecipes.com and found this recipe. I have to say we were very pleased with the outcome, in fact, almost surprised they turned out this well. Not as good as the ones we had in Cape Cod, but better than some of the local ones I've had. It takes some effort but I think it was worth it. I did get sick of doing all the folding so made two egg rolls out of it at the end. I also steamed them in my bamboo steamer (click here to see how to work the steamer) before frying them to ensure the centers were warm and they cooked fast.
















Crab Rangoon
(my changes in red)
  • 1 quart oil for deep frying (I probably used 2 cups, which still really scared me)
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (1/2 package)
  • 2 (6 ounce) cans premium lump crabmeat, drained and flaked (1 can)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I don't measure, I just shake)
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika (ditto)
  • 2 tablespoons water chestnuts, drained and chopped
  • 1 (14 ounce) package wonton wrappers (I used not quite a half of the egg roll wraps and quartered them)
In a large, heavy sauce pan heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, crabmeat, garlic powder, paprika and water chestnuts.


Place approximately 1 teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture in the center of wonton wrappers.

Moisten wrapper edges with water, fold over the mixture and pinch to seal.


In small batches, steam then fry the wontons 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown.

4 comments:

Cate said...

I've never heard of crab rangoon but these look like great appetizers!

Jaime said...

i love this, it's one of my favorites! if you are near a pei wei (it's the fast casual chain owned by pf chang's) they have some awesome ones!

Ashlee said...

hey jenn, i actually live in bloomington, IN, that's where my running trail is!

Sarah - The Home Cook said...

I liked that crab rangoon we had at the Thai place, but I rarely see it on menus anywhere. I'll have to try this recipe.