Sunday, June 1, 2008

French Onion Soup

I am so glad I finally was able to make this. I LOVE FRENCH ONION SOUP. But before I tested it out on my family who also loves it, I had to test it out on D and I first. My new crocks have been staring at me since they were delivered and they are so happy to be used. Another wonderful Williams-Sonoma purchase. I'm all smiles!

2 teaspoons olive oil
3 Vidalia onions, sliced finely
3 shallots, sliced finely

1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 cup white wine
6 cups of beef broth
2 TBSP fresh parsley, chopped

2 tablespoons butter
French baguette, slice
Jarlsberg cheese, sliced (Guyere is preferred but the store didn't have it that day)


Heat butter in a large dutch oven and sautee onions for 10 minutes on medium-high heat or until soft. Stir in sugar, pepper, and salt. Reduce heat to medium and cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently.

















Increase heat to medium-high and sautee for 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown.

Stir in wine and cook for 1 minute. Add broth/stock and thyme and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1-2 hours.

Preheat broiler. Coat with some butter (I used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light) and garlic powder. Toast baguette slices for 2-3 minutes.

Place soup in oven-safe crocks. Place toasted baguette slices on top of soup. Place cheese slices on top of the baguette. Broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese has melted.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love love french onion soup! I will have to try this! Maybe this winter!