Sunday, April 6, 2008

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

I was in the food store today and wanted to buy hummus but my god is it expensive. So I decided to buy 2 cans of chick peas for 80 cents instead of a small tub of hummus for $4 and make my own. And I did! I already had a jar of roasted red peppers at home so it was easy (and healthy)!

2 cans chick peas (garbanzo beans)
Juice of 1 lemon
3 cloves garlic
2-3 large slices of roasted red peppers
1/3 cup EVOO
salt and pepper to taste














Drain the chick peas in a colander. Then place them in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes. This will help to remove their outside skin. Once the 10 minutes is up rinse and drain them again. Then combine all the ingredients into a food processor until creamy. You can do it in 2 batches if your food processor is too small, which is what I did. It's that easy and I saved myself a decent amount of money. $4 once a week versus 80 cents adds up over time. And this makes a 16 oz. container, enough to last over a week.

No comments: