Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Turkey Chili in the crockpot















Emma and I went to see the new movie A Christmas Carol on Monday and let me just say it was awesome. The 3-D effects were amazing. I truly felt like it was snowing on me. I do need to recommend it to everyone, young and old, although not the really young. Some parts were perhaps a little scary and creepy. Anyway, when we got back I had to get dinner together because I was heading out for my H1N1 flu shot and wasn't sure when I'd be back. In comes turkey chili in the crock pot. To be very honest I didn't measure anything but it was delicious and as usual, easy. Here are my estimates for what I threw in there but I really think chili is practically foolproof. Some meat, beans and tomatoes and spices and you're good to go

1.25 lb. ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 can red kidney beans, drained
8 oz. low sodium chicken broth
2 beef flavored bouillon cubes
1 shallot, diced
1 TBSP chopped garlic
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 TBSP paprika

2 TBSP corn starch
1/4 cup cold water

Combine turkey, tomatoes, beans, onion, garlic and spices into the crock pot and stir together. Cook on medium high for 4-5 hours. Right before serving, dissolve the corn starch in the water and stir into the chili to thicken it. Top with sour cream and cheddar cheese.

No comments: