Saturday, January 26, 2008

Vegetable soup

I thought I would try to make a vegetable soup and began working off of a recipe my mother had given me but then it took on a life of it's own. I needed to use up the veggies in my fridge so I pretty much threw in everything I had.

olive oil, 1 turn of the pot
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, grated and sliced
3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 portobello mushroom cap, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 cups chicken stock
3 cups water
1 cup rotini pasta
2 tsp. basil
2 tsp. garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste

Cook the onion in the oil approximately 5 minutes or until translucent. Mix in all the veggies, seasonings, and the potatoes. Cook for another 2 minutes. Add in the broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add the pasta in at the 20 minute mark. Enjoy!

No comments: