Saturday, January 26, 2008

Rice Pudding


I have always loved rice pudding, ever since my grandmother would make it for us when I was a kid. I got this recipe out of Cooking Light and am so excited to have found a lower fat version of a favorite dessert.

2 cups Arborio rice
3-1/2 cups fat free milk (I used half milk, half Silk Light Vanilla soy milk)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk (I skipped this and it made no difference)
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs beaten (I used eggbeaters)
1/4 cup raisins
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon

Bring the milk, sugar and rice to a boil. Cook rice until soft and creamy, about 35-40 minutes. Continue to add more milk as necessary to prevent the rice from drying out or burning.

When the rice is done, gradually add half of it to the eggs in a separate bowl, stirring constantly with a wisk. Return egg and rice mixture to the rest of the rice in the pot and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add in the raisins and vanilla. Makes 8 servings.

No comments: