Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Corn and Potato Chowder













I was in the mood for a corn chowder today so I did some searching around and found a few recipes and then decided to make my own. Emma gave it 5 stars so I think it's definitely a winner. Plus it was super fast. I started making it at 5:30 and was done by 6. Not bad for a soup!

1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 TBSP Smart Balance Butter Light
1 tsp. seafood seasoning
1-1/4 cups water
1-1/2 lbs baking potatoes, cubed and diced (about 2 small)
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1-1/4 cups half and half
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper

Melt the butter in a dutch oven and saute the onions until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in the water, potatoes, corn, seasoning and salt & pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Add in the half and half and shut off the heat. Using an immersion blender, thicken the soup by giving the blender a few whirls in the soup, being careful not to completely emulsify everything 'cause you still want pieces of potato and corn in there. Top with a little of the cheese and serve!

2 comments:

Dave S. said...

Yeah, definitely one I'd like to see in the rotation. Nice job hon :)

Chef Aimee said...

I like that you added light butter to this! Delicious!